Friday, January 11, 2008

I just don't get Alpacas


OK. I know they're cute, in a "hey, look at that long-necked furry sheep" sort of way...that's Indie on the left, and Blackie on the right. But I just don't really get the point of Alpacas beyond the incredible wool.

Now, before you think I'm being insensitive...I really have been trying to understand the big draw. I feed them with my wife (nothing quite matches the thrill of spreading orchard grass for animals), I find them interesting in a "hey, look at the crimp on that thick wool" sort of way, and I think it's interesting that they hum at you (although having them hum at me because I put their feed bowl 3' from where it was JUST YESTERDAY can make you nuts).

Maybe I'm just not very intuitive...or maybe because we're raising them for my wife who loves them, I'll come to have affection for them some day. But I just don't get it...maybe I'll buy her a turtle...they seem about as emotional...although their poop isn't as interesting, I suppose...